Thursday, March 10, 2011
Day 1 of training
Started out GREAT! I am desiring to learn to run with the goal being eventually to run a 5K. Why? I don't know....just seems like the right thing at the moment! So dearest husband has been doing some research and discovered some really cool shoes for running.....only you run on the balls of your feet. He's been doing this now for awhile and taught Mykhal. Since Mykhal is here and dh isn't, I asked Mykhal to teach his poor old Ma how to run. He did great at explaining it! So I started of nice and slow...I made it a full 1/10th of a mile!!! You say "that isn't much" but for someone who is so far out of shape it's ridiculous and who has NEVER run in her life...well...that's a great start! I walked back to my starting point and took a break. Feeling my oats, I decided to go for another pass. Again starting off nice and slow but steady...got about 10 steps, felt something move in my left calf in a way it shouldn't, then had sharp searing pain....hmmmm not good....couldn't go another step. So I come to a bouncing halt to assess the situation. Didn't have full range of motion, but could walk haltingly. I knew I had torn the muscle but also knew it was minor. So I did a bit of research, wrapped my leg in an ace bandage and propped it up on ice. Took some anti inflammatory before bed and planned on being better this morning. And I am! The muscle is still tender and sore, but I have greater range of motion today. I'm being gentle and pampering that leg a bit for a few more days, but am on the mend! Maybe in a week or so we will have training session Day 2.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have always wanted to be a runner, but I lack the endurance! Just this week I started to research the "couch to 5k program". (You should google it) It looks simple and it's suppose to help you build up that endurance. I did day 1 as instructed, but only walked on day two. (That's how bad I am when it comes to running). I am determined to get to that 5k someday. Check it out. In the mean time, take care of that leg!!
ReplyDelete